The Sanatorium known as “Deutsches Haus” was opened in 1913, with a project realized by the Swiss architect Edwin Wipf, who later also built the railway stations of the Centovalli in Ticino. After years of splendour, during which the sanatorium was popular among well-known personalities of the time, in 1922 Doctor Hanns Alexander, famous pulmonologist from Dresden, became the director of the clinic, showing his pro-Nazi political orientation, thus creating discomfort and disappointment among the clinic’s patients and employees, as well as among local population. During those years, Doctor Alexander’s wife transformed the park of the sanatorium in a refined botanic garden, a weather station was installed, concerts and film showings were organized, they had an internal radio station managed by guests and they also published a periodical magazine called “Die Terrasse”. After Germany was defeated in 1945, the Deutsches Haus suffered because of the bad reputation caused by Doctor Alexander’s activity and was finally closed in 1969. The building remained abandoned until 2004, when the businessman Silvio Tarchini bought the whole property and began the construction works for the Resort Collina d’Oro, officially inaugurated in March 2013.
Welcome to the oasis of comfort and beauty